Marketers understand that building a brand is all about telling stories that create an emotional connection with potential customers. Because tradeshow exhibit design is an important marketing endeavor that engages customers face to face, it can be uniquely impactful in projecting a brand story.
Exhibit design is not just about how much return your investment will fetch. More important is how many people will be moved by your story and how many more are likely to pass it on to other people. Yes, what I am saying is that design is more about ROE (return on engagement) and less about ROI (return on investment )… And that word-of-mouth is the best kind of marketing!
While it’s true that you can’t please everyone, you can do your best to make sure that you’re giving your audience something of quality. Remember, your marketing goals are the starting point. Make the design informative and interesting, but also make it true to yourself and your brand. Your design should follow your company’s unique message. And always be aware of your budget, because it dictates the structure and components.
A professional exhibit designer or full-service exhibit partner can make the difference between an amateurish exhibit and a professional one that commands respect and attention. These specialists bring knowledge and experience to the table and may come up with possibilities that you had not considered. If you decide to work with a designer, it is essential that you familiarize them with your company’s history and message, as well as with previous marketing efforts. Provide them with samples of promotional literature and any other marketing materials that are available. Let them know what specific products or services you wish to promote through your booth.
Here is a list of few things to keep in mind while finalizing a killer exhibit design:
- Keep the space open – don’t clutter your product display shelves
- Strategic signage/hanging signs – Make your signage pop by adding lights, 3D Lettering, sheer fabric, or just by creating the signs in innovative shapes…
- Visual Impact – It’s time to ratchet up your color consciousness or at least take your color wheel out for a spin, to revisit the critical role color plays in exhibit design.
- Stunning graphics – Put fewer words on your exhibit graphics but make each word bigger. A single clearly stated benefit statement is better than a long list of bulleted points that gets ignored.
- Exhibit rules and regulations – It’s always good to observe proper exhibit and trade show etiquette–meaning, don’t do anything that may hinder or prevent exposure and attendee traffic to your exhibit floor neighbors. There are many dimensional limitations for your most common booth types. However, that doesn’t limit the size of your exhibit marketing ideas!
Design-driven exhibits pay big dividends! This is true for Apple or Nike and it’s very much applicable to your company, as well. Today’s trade show floors are filled decision makers looking for solutions to their pain but they’re working with limited time and a tight agenda. That means if you’re not, already on their list, your exhibit must grab their attention. If this is not your organization’s strong suit, utilize the skills of a designer who specializes in trade show exhibit the kind of “wow” factor you need.
If you want more design ideas for your next exhibit or if want us to help you create design a killer trade show exhibit, feel free to reach us at 407.601.4606 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By: Nidhi Gandhi, Certified Exhibition Manager & Trade Show Strategist